The best way to show your love for colors is Color Blocking.
Putting together varied colors to create an ensemble can be a bit tricky. You got to have a good sense to mix and match colors and come up with something interesting else you will end up looking like a clown. Its a fierce trend especially if you chose bold colors but you can always tone it down using whites, blacks or neutrals.
There is a science behind color blocking which is used for mixing and matching of colors. I tried to study & understand it but after a few combinations I was totally lost, so I said to myself chuck the wheel and go with your instinct. What is appealing to your eyes will definitely appeal to the world so mostly I go with my instinct.
I must admit that this article has been one of the difficult ones to write cos it is kind of hard to explain and there are so many color combinations that you end up with a whole lot of choices. Nevertheless I have tried to best of my abilities to make it easily understandable.
However, it doesn’t mean I won’t share a little bit that I learnt cos that is pretty simple and basic stuff. Also I will try and tell you some eye appealing combos so that you don’t have to apply too much mind. Just find these colors in your wardrobe and go with them. If you are still confused then just follow these pictures. They are awfully lot anyways
I feel the Indian designers use the color blocking technique very well. No Wonder the outfits are so colorful and bright.
We begin by looking at the color wheel. Don’t get scared.. what I will tell you is very easy and basic
To begin with I am sure you all know Red, Blue and Yellow are the primary colors. All the other colors emerge from this family Right!! If you add white to the color it becomes a Tint color and if you add black it becomes a shade of the color so that’s the story with colors.
The colors immediately opposite to each other are called the complimentary colors. These are used to build contrast eg : Red & green (Remember Christmas tree) Yellow &Violet, Blue & orange or Yellow orange & Blue Violet. Simple Right?? Colors that are just directly opposite each other.
|Yellow- Violet / Blue- Orange /Violet Blue – Red Orange combos|
|Aqua Blue – Orange combo|
Or check out this very fresh Lime Green – Fuchsia combo. Bold and Beautiful
If you don’t wish to try such bold colors then the hottest combo in complimentary colors currently is the midnight blue – Tangerine combo and it is my favorite. Its sophisticated and the Orange just lifts up the attire.
In case of color blocking, you can use a solid color dress and use different color accessories as an accent color.
These are the colors adjacent to each other. They could be in the same family like Red- Red Orange – Crimson OR Yellow- Yellow Orange. You can also choose from a diferent family but close to each other like Yellow and Lime green.
|Yellow – Yellow Orange / Yellow- (shade of ) Lime Green|
Pick up not more than 3 colors for color blocking or just stick to 2 and accessorize with neutrals. You will never go wrong this way
The favorite combo that emerged from Analalogous colors is the Red – Fuschia (crimson) combo. See how elegantly they have paired these bright combos with neutral colored heels.
I hope you are with me till now. The 3rd one is fun and gives variety of options.
Colors at 90 degree from each other
|Yellow – Orange combo / Green – yellow combo|
|Blue – Violet combo|
To add the 3rd color, make an equilateral triangle ( a triangle with equal sides) and wherever the edges fall that’s your combo
|green- violet – orange / red- blue – yellow|
So this was the science of Color wheel that I understood. I hope I could make sense to you guys. I have tried my best to make sense of all this with Pictorial references.
Now there are some combos that do not kind of fit in the science explained above but I am sure there is some logic to them. These are so appealing to eyes and make a beautiful collage of colors. My favorites would be :
1. Red and Blue
Add a hint of green to it
2. Lemon Yellow and Blue. This combo is just so pleasing to eyes.
The other version of the same would be Aqua Blue and Yellow. It is one of my favorites
3. Pink and Yellow
There are lots more but these were some of my favorites to try this summer.
Tips on Color Blocking
1. If you are new to this technique I suggest go easy with colors. Take baby steps. Just try color blocking with 2 colors first. Take one as a feature color and use the other color to accent it. Like wear a blue color dress and wear orange shoes and carry an orange purse or vice versa.
2. If you wearing 2 Tone outfit, please keep your accessories neutral. Do not try to use another color with accessories
3. Most Importantly stick to a max of 3 colors. Do not go beyond that.. It might look good in a picture but trust me it won’t in real life.
4. Use whites or blacks or nudes or beiges to tone down a color blocking if need be eg. Beige and Orange or Beige and Red is a beautiful combo.
5. Keep your make up simple with color blocked outfits
6. In the end have fun with colors and try all sorts of combos. Color wheel is just to give you a rough idea about combos. Just go with your instinct.. Don’t try too hard. It will come naturally to you. Remember if it appeals you, it will appeal the world. Take an opinion from a dear one before stepping out otherwise chances are you will yourself look like a color wheel and we don’t want that. Do we??
Do tell me if this article was good enough for you guys.